Gavel

Gavel

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Maycomb History Problems

Starting in chapter 16 of TKAM, Tom Robinson goes on trial for raping Mayella Ewell. This part of the book is very similar to a real life event that occurred in 1931. Nine African Americans were accused of raping two white american women. Both these events are super similar in  that they both involved black men (man) raping white women (woman). The accusations are extremity similar, it is unknown if these men actually did rape these women, but they did get arrested and put in jail with little to no evidence against them. The accusations of the two seem too similar. I believe that Harper Lee took inspiration from this event to create a controversial topic in her book. To recap, both in the book and in real life, black man or men raped white woman or women. They were accused of being rapers with not much evidence backing this up. Hmmmmmmmm...Seems interesting. Also seems racist.


Since I'm in honers, I have to do another one. *Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh* I'm now getting really sassy. And now I'm breaking the fourth wall. I'M DOING SO WELL!

Anyway, lets not ADHD ourselves too off topic.

Anyway, *looks through book* well since I just spent about 20 minutes looking for that page so I could quote it (no seriously, I just spent about 20 minutes looking for a page) I'm instead just gonna summarize it and hope I don't get points taken off. In one of the earlier chapters, Bob Ewell is very poor. This is much like many people were in the great depression. But, tying him even more to the great depression, it claims that he accepts no help from others and is extremely stubborn to take any help from others. This is very similar to how people reacted to financial help from the government in the actual great depression era. The accepted almost no help from the government or help at all from others.

2 comments:

  1. Meme team strikes again with another nice blog! I can definitely see the connection between the case in TKAM and the real life event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really enjoyed the funny you brought to this . i love when you broke the fourth wall . that was really like the connection with real life and the book.

    ReplyDelete