Gavel

Gavel

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Unwritten Rules and Laws are Dumb

"I suppose she chose me because she knew my name; as I read the alphabet a faint line appeared between her eyebrows, and after making me read most of My First Reader and the stock-market quotations from The Mobile Register aloud, she discovered I was literate and looked at me with more than faint distaste. Miss Caroline told me to tell my father not to teach me any more, it would interfere with my reading." Lee Page 22

Now, I can guess what you're all wondering. What does this even mean? Well, I can read your minds. All of them.
Actually, this to me is basically the dumbest thing ever.

Let me explain, have you ever played a game, lets use 4-square. You hit the ball to one person and they say you're out. You ask why and they say something so nit-picky it makes you want to tear their hair out until their scalp bleeds. Yes, we have all had that one kid, that one infuriating small child who kills you inside. To me, Miss Caroline is this kid to Scout. Miss Caroline is making up rules and restrictions that aren't written because she basically wants to, or she has the power too.
Now, I can see why she would invent these "laws" restricting Scout. It could interfere with the class's curriculum and/or class plans, but really, do you have to make up laws?
I never believed in unwritten laws and rules. Besides logical unwritten laws (don't throw sharp things, don't kill people, dumb things like that) unwritten rules are dumb. Don't go to the bathroom during dinner, don't call people dumb. Why do they exist? I understand most of them, but some of them, I mean really do we need a rule that says (or doesn't say) that we can't be on our phone at lunch at school? Miss Caroline seems to be a very passionate person on unwritten rules, and I don't really think she's a great person.

So yeah,
Summary of the post, dumb unwritten rules are stupid and Miss Caroline is stupid.



4 comments:

  1. Good job meme team! I totally agree with what you said about made up laws, its so not fair. I had a similar idea in my blog as well, I talked about how the people of Maycomb follow their own laws. Anyway nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, SOME unwritten laws are dumb

    ReplyDelete